Ho Flooded

The Volta Regional capital, Ho, last weekend witnessed its share of flooding after a heavy downpour Saturday afternoon.

The heavy downpour, which began at about 3pm, lulled after over two hours.

It was accompanied by heavy thunderstorms and lightening that caused fear and panic among residents.

While some parts of the town saw roofs, buildings and other structures collapsing, other areas witnessed tree branches falling off and trees uprooted by the rainstorm.

Affected Areas
So far no casualties had been reported, but quite a number of residents are reported to have been displaced by the floods, according to Simon Myles Bakar, the Regional Coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).

One of the most affected areas was a section of the road leading to the Ho Central Market. Although the flood had subsided, vehicles on Saturday evening could not cross over from the market area to the Ray-Makossa-OLA traffic intersection.

A corn mill had two of its machines swept away by the rainstorm which Mr. Bakar said moved at a speed of 150-160 km/h. A popular cosmetic shop – Accra Cosmetics – together with other shops along the area, also had some items destroyed by the flood waters.

Shops and homes in Ho Bankoe, Anlokordzi and surrounding areas were flooded too. Mr. Barkar said preliminary assessment recorded that the main Ho to Aflao highway was cut off between Trafalga and the Ho Poly Clinic area.

Houses at the Leprosarium area were also affected by the storm, including a house of a family of four. A tree fell on a building being occupied by eight people. Fortunately, no casualties were recorded.

A resident in the area, Donkor Johnson, told DAILY GUIDE that ‘The wind was so serious that we were sitting on tenterhooks throughout the period of the rain.’

A road from Flat Junction to the SSNIT Flats, a few meters from the New Apostolic Church, was rendered inaccessible when a tree fell onto it.

The Regional NADMO Coordinator, Mr. Bakar, confirmed the flooding but was grateful that no casualties were recorded. He indicated that the Prisons Service had been notified to help clear the roads that had been blocked by trees.

He said the flooding was more natural and not caused by the usual insanitary conditions. He added that had it not been for the frequent clearing and de-silting of gutters, the situation would have been worse.

From Fred Duodu, Ho ( [email protected] )

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You might also like More from author

Comments are closed.