Ruling on Xavier Sosu’s stay of execution case slated for July 26
The Appeals Court has set July 26, 2017 to rule on the embattled Human Rights lawyer Francis Xavier Sosu’s application for stay of execution of his three-year ban handed him by the General Legal Council.
The judge, Justice Henry Kwofie fixed the date after parties in the case made their respective oral submission to the court.
Francis Sosu filed the application seeking to put on hold his suspension until the final determination of his appeal by the court but lawyers for the General Legal Council opposed to the the application for stay of execution pending appeal of suspension.
They argue that the applicant did not file any notice of appeal at the registry of the GLC which means there is no valid appeal for a stay of execution.
The Ghana Legal Council earlier in June 2017, banned Francis Xavier-Sosu, a renowned Human Rights lawyer, from practicing as a lawyer for three years, for overcharging a client, one Francis Agyare, when he represented him in a Human Right case in Accra.
It said that, within the 3-year period, Lawyer Xavier-Sosu “shall not hold himself out as a Legal Practitioner or attend Chambers, or render, or purport to render any professional legal service to any person whomsoever, wheresoever.”
According to the Legal Council, Lawyer Xavier-Sosu charged his client GH¢50,000, which was “excessive” and an “overestimation” for the services rendered, although he [Sosu] had told the client he was offering his legal services for free.
But the embattled lawyer appealed the council’s decision and subsequently applied for a stay of execution of his 3-year ban.
By: Fred Djabanor/citifmonline.com/Ghana